Sunday, February 21, 2010

My brush with fame...

Anyone who has known me for a while has heard me discuss the significant personal impact left by my most cherished brush with fame.

Sure, I've also met Tubby Smith a few times at various charity events he sponsored. I also stood within earshot of Darius Rucker and the rest of the Blowfish and explained to a friend how I thought this awful band was going nowhere. But the moment that sticks most indelibly in my mind is the 1:00AM meeting I had with Ashland, Kentucky's most famous son, Chuck Woolery.

Circa 1993, I stepped out into the chilly night air at the Movies 10 in Ashland, and mentioned to a friend that Chuck Woolery was standing on the corner. As it turned out, he was waiting for his significantly younger Love Connection to exit the cinema.

The friend didn't believe it was him (surely such a luminary wouldn't deign to watch a movie with the great unwashed). So I went up to introduce myself and establish his identity. I created the short film below, which recreates the conversation that followed with 100% accuracy:



I've really never been the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment